May 31, 2013
Not everyone has eating problems during their cancer treatment. You may have a few problems or none at all. Regardless, it’s always a good idea to be prepared before you find yourself not up to cooking or shopping.
Here’s what you can do:
- Fill your refrigerator, cupboard, and freezer with healthy foods. Make sure to include items you can eat when you feel sick. For example, soups and fruits store well in the freezer…just thaw, heat if needed, and eat.
- Stock up on foods that need little or no cooking, such as frozen dinners and ready-to-eat cooked foods.
- Cook some foods ahead of time and freeze in meal-sized portions.
- Ask friends or family to help you shop and cook during your treatment. Maybe a friend can set up a schedule of the tasks that need to be done and the people who will do them.
- Talk with your OHC physician or nurse about what to expect.